UltravioletPhotography

Assorted Chronochromic Scenes

OlDoinyo

Infrared filtration turns the landscape pale to white, giving nature a bright canvas on which to paint in this type of image. Psychedelic and other strange effects can result.

These first three (Sony A900, #093 filter, RGB order) make use of the lighting pattern of broken cloud cover on the Blue Ridge Parkway. A cloud cover of 50-60% seems ideal to achieve this sort of effect.

"Hominy Valley Prismatic." 35mm lens, 1/125 sec.@ f/8 and ISO 100, 1-minute intervals.

post-66-0-95836200-1421034835.jpg

"Kaleidotopia." Same settings.

post-66-0-97444900-1421034994.jpg

"If Clouds Knew How to Paint." Same settings.

post-66-0-09862100-1421035182.jpg

The next one was taken with a cheap point-and-shoot camera without manual settings, and may not be purely chronochromic; exposure and white balance may have drifted between constituent frames as snow and fog swirled over the Wasatch Plateau.

"The Mists of Time." SVC camera with homemade extended-red filter (unexposed Fujichrome;) approx. 1/15 sec. @ unknown aperture and ISO 200; RGB order, 1-minute intervals.

post-66-0-70217300-1421035650.jpg

The final example is not purely chronochromic either, as I did not take care to match workup parameters between frames. Contrast mismatch created an artifact that looks like the sun (it isn't.) But I like how it turned out anyway.

"The Light Unseen." Canon 1Ds MkII, Contax/Zeiss 25mm lens, GTS2 filter; 30 seconds @ unknown aperture and ISO 100; 2-minute intervals, RGB order.

post-66-0-82401600-1421036147.jpg

Clark, these are very cool.

Sascha, basically three shots at three different times of a fixed view which has motion are stacked in R, G and B channel to produce what I call a "time stack". (...hmmm, did I describe that properly??)

It is fun to try them in UV or IR instead of the typical Visible version.

Actually you can use any colour channels for the stack. Doesn't have to be just the RGB thing.

Postscript: I tried pasting the data from the first image into a Lab color file, in L-a-b order, just to see what would happen. Workup is a lot more difficult than simple RGB if one wants something that actually appears like a landscape rather than an abstraction; I eventually came up with this after a lot of color rebalancing. I don't think I care for it, really, but as an exercise it was interesting.

post-66-0-13219000-1421121543.jpg

Very interesting, this Lab stack. I've not seen that done.

(...or I don't remember having seen it done, smile...)

I agree that this particular example is less compelling than the previous stacks. But other scenes might provide something stonger, who knows? Carry on !!

• 8 months later...