UltravioletPhotography

Test of 9 small-format, short FL lenses

enricosavazzi

enricosavazzi

I tested nine small-format, short FL "accidental" lenses. Start at the following link and then follow the other links on the page.

http://savazzi.net/p...uv_lenses1.html

There may still be some rough edges in formatting and style, but the data is all there. One or two of the tested lenses could be interesting for other members using Micro 4/3 cameras and looking for a wideangle UV lens.

enricosavazzi
I added illustrations or links to the optical schemes of a few of these lenses, but so far I had no luck finding information on the Soviet ones.
enricosavazzi
All the illustrations of the optical scheme I have seen so far show 6 elements in 6 groups. Descriptions on the other hand vary.

All the illustrations of the optical scheme I have seen so far show 6 elements in 6 groups. Descriptions on the other hand vary.

I would trust the descriptions over diagrams. Here is a link to a primary source, an Olympus FT manual, describing the 20mm f/3.5 as 7 elements in 6 groups on page 27. This means that there is one cemented group and all that entails fro UV. Also of note is the 25mm f/4 which is a 5-5. Although I suspect Alex H has already tried the 25mm f/4 I have just ordered one to see how it will do in UV.

I indeed tested 3.5/20mm against 4/25mm for UV. Depending on the method used, shooting conditions and processing, the differences between two lenses vary from "small" to "unnoticeable". I opted for a wider lens.

Thanks Alex, that is encouraging information. Hopefully I will get a good sample.

Thank you both, I am eager to try this lens format, it seems so well suited to µ4/3.