UltravioletPhotography

Food under UV Induced Fluorescence

Food Under UV induced Fluorescence

I thought is would be interesting and perhaps eye opening to see a little bit about that we eat everyday through the eye of UVIVFL (Ultraviolet Induced Visible Fluorescence).

In spirit of Andrea's fabulous tangerine pics...

Clementine

Unfortunately my box only says from Morroco on it so I don't know the variety. There seems to be a few--Nova, Nour, Afourar, Ortanique, Nules and Nadorcott

Comment:

These clementines were bought at ShopRite grocery. Doubt they are organic.

Reference:

1. http://www.clementin...rus-brands.html

Visible: Canon 30D Unmodified,Canon EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon MT-24EX macro twin light flash, 1/8 s @ f/8 ISO 100, No Filters.

post-51-0-26721600-1419999967.jpg

This is pretty strange in that they both look close to the same in visible and are from the same box but clearly something has happened or there is more than one variety here.

UVIVFL: Canon 30D Unmodified, EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 3 Blak-Rays B-100AP, 2.5 s @ f/8 ISO 100, No Filters.

post-51-0-15231800-1420000009.jpg

Visible: Canon 30D Unmodified,Canon EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon MT-24EX macro twin light flash, 1/100 s @ f/11 ISO 100, No Filters.

post-51-0-08734800-1420000011.jpg

UV almost renders the organic tissue transparent here.

UVIVFL: Canon 30D Unmodified, Canon EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, 3 Blak-Rays B-100AP, 2.5 s @ f/11 ISO 100, No Filters.

post-51-0-31443500-1420000010.jpg

-D

Chicken Eggs

Below are a few general pictures of eggs. I haven't tried white ones as my chickens only produce the light brown color.

Whole Egg

Visible: Canon 30D Unmodified,Canon EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon MT-24EX macro twin light flash, 1/100 s @ f/11 ISO 200, No Filters.

post-51-0-68681100-1420042056.jpg

UVIVFL: Canon 30D Unmodified, Canon EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, 3 Blak-Rays B-100AP, In total darkness, 8 s @ f/11 ISO 200, No Filters.

post-51-0-32649900-1420042063.jpg

Diptych

post-51-0-52046400-1420043199.jpg

Whole Egg in Pan

Visible: Canon 30D Unmodified,Canon EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon MT-24EX macro twin light flash, .8 s @ f/11 ISO 200, No Filters.

post-51-0-56176700-1420042068.jpg

You can see how UV makes a clean pan look fairly appalling

UVIVFL: Canon 30D Unmodified, Canon EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 3 Blak-Rays B-100AP, In total darkness, 4 s @ f/11 ISO 200, No Filters.

post-51-0-93400500-1420042072.jpg

Diptych

post-51-0-74981900-1420043230.jpg

Egg Broken in Pan

Visible: Canon 30D Unmodified,Canon EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon MT-24EX macro twin light flash, 1/100 s @ f/11 ISO 200, No Filters.

post-51-0-74132200-1420042078.jpg

If you ever read any Dr. Seuss you may recognize the egg below

UVIVFL: Canon 30D Unmodified, Canon EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 3 Blak-Rays B-100AP, In total darkness, 1.3 s @ f/11 ISO 200, No Filters.

post-51-0-00497500-1420042083.jpg

Diptych

post-51-0-37761900-1420043258.jpg

-D

Banana (that I forgot about for a ~ 2 weeks)

So I was moving some gear around on my bench and picked up what I thought was something else and to my surprise it was a banana I brought out to take pics of ~ 2 weeks ago.

Even though it has been kinda cold, it had begun to change.

Normally you would say ewww let me chuck that rotting thing. But any proper UV crazy person who thinks this all must add up to something wonderful and one picture someday will all the sudden unlock long standing mysteries would of course say-- oooh I wonder what that looks like under the influence of UV. ;)

Banana ~2 weeks post freshness

Visible: Canon 30D Unmodified,Canon EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon MT-24EX macro twin light flash, 1/125 s @ f/7.1 ISO 200, No Filters.

post-51-0-72582500-1420044010.jpg

UVIVFL: Canon 30D Unmodified, Canon EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, 3 Blak-Rays B-100AP, In total darkness, 2 s @ f/8 ISO 200, No Filters.

post-51-0-84016900-1420044061.jpg

Diptych

post-51-0-16898600-1420044089.jpg

-D

WOW!!! Lovethatbanana

GREATSTUFF!!!

(spilledeggnogonthismackeyboard

cannotcleanit

sorryforweirdpostbutjusthadtocomment)

That is eggcellent Damon, I hadn't seen the eggs before now, we must have crossed posted somehow.....

We'll have to call you Dr Seuss, with the green eggs & greasy pan ;)

Col

I am Damon

Damon I am

That Damon-I-am

That Damon-I-am!

I do not like

That Damon-I-am

Do you like

Green eggs on pan?

I do not like them,

Damon-I-am.

I do not like

Green eggs on pan.

Would you like them

Shortwave or long?

I would not like them

Shortwave or long.

I would not like them

any light wave strong.

I do not like

Green eggs on pan.

I do not like them,

Damon-I-am

Would you like them

In your shed?

Would you like them

With infrared?

I do not like them

In my shed.

I do not like them

With infrared.

I do not like them

At any strength.

I do not like them

Any wavelength.

I do not like green eggs on pan.

I do not like them, Damon-I-am

Would you eat them

In near UV?

Would you eat them

In lieu of tea?

Not in near UV.

Not In lieu of tea.

Not in my shed.

Not in infrared.

I would not eat them at any strength.

I would not eat them any wavelength.

I would not eat green eggs on pan.

I do not like them, Damon-I-am.

Would you? Could you?

In white light?

Eat them! Eat them!

In visible light.

I would not,

Could not,

In white light

You may like them.

In UVB.

You may like them

In UVC?

You do not like them.

In any UV.

Try them! Try them!

And you may see.

Try them and you may I see.

Damon!

If you will let me be,

I will try them.

In any UV.

Say!

I like green eggs on pan!

I do! I like them, Damon-I-am!

And in my shed. And in infrared.

They are so good no spectrum is dead!

So I will eat them in near UV.

And I will eat them in lieu of tea.

And I will eat them in white light.

And I will eat them with visible light.

And I will eat them shortwave or long.

Say! I will eat even if Blak-Ray is wrong!

I do so like

Green eggs on pan!

Thank you!

Thank you,

Damon-I-am

-D

See, just don't say I can't reggognise an eggspert when I see one.

Damon, you are an artist approaching the height of your career.

We will see what talent I can crack out of this egg over the next year......it will be interesting to be a part of Damon's rise in fame.

Cheers

Col

And I see that we have finally lost all of our scientific seriousness. Oh la !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Green Fluor Eggs & Ham will become a classic, I'm sure of it.

Now, back to that clementine.

The visible fluorescence foto is quite interesting. It is very pretty.

I still worry a bit about using unfiltered illumination and unfiltered lens when making these kinds of fotos.

Just out of curiosity, I would like to see you do a study where you filter the lens with a UVIR-blocker and with an IR-Pass filter.

We should think about presenting "control" shots when we can.

Eggs are a "classic" in UV and UVIVF. But the interesting pan is a wonderful idea !!

In the UVIVF foto, does the egg yolk "glow" with fluorescence?

It is sometimes difficult to tell what is fluorescing and what is not.

Yeah I thought about that awhile ago which is why I went through with Shane's chrome test. Accordingly my current rig passed FWIW.

I will try the UVIR blocker. What's a good cheap one?

The IR-Pass filter will not likely make any difference in that the lenses I am using are coated already to block that. Having no IR-pass filter on the end of my 100mm macro is letting already allowing all possible IR no?

Can you take a pic of a broken egg?

The egg certainly appeared to be glowing. I have been trying to have my pictures look like what my eyes are seeing. My eyeballs should be White Balancing correctly no?

-D

Re:I still worry a bit about using unfiltered illumination.

The Blak-Rays are filtered by woods glass or did you mean something to filter out everything but UV?

-D

The idea for the IR-Pass filter was to see if there is any UV-induced Infrared fluorescence. (whee!)

Which would be very interesting to see. I think I got some once and posted it somewhere on UVP.

If you are all set up to shoot, then it's easy enough to also work with an IR-pass filter on a full-spec camera. (Like I forgot to do with my Satsuma shoot.) You would want to use an IR-pass which blocks all Visible light, of course. Typically a good choice is around 830nm such as the B+W 093. I'd look at uviroptics on Ebay for an IR-pass if you don't already have it. He always offers good charts.

There are no particularly cheap UV/IR blockers, so maybe think about that some other time. The Baader UVIR cut is around $130 I think.

Cool that the yolk is indeed fluor-ing. We don't keep eggs these days. So I don't have them handy to shoot.

My eyeballs should be White Balancing correctly no?

Well we hope so if you are not colour-blind. :lol:

Don't forget, however, that you can be affected by "after colours" when you have stared at one particular colour too long.

People's colour memory is usually pretty bad though. "-)

Have someone look at a colour patch and try to "remember" it and later pick it out of a lineup of very similar tints and tones. Do you know the Tiffany (the jewelery store) colour? I tried to pick that out of a lineup and failed. I "remembered" it as being very much more blue than it actually is. It is really more of a cyan.

IR fluorescence--ooh that's sounds cool!

Do you think I could get away with using an IR-pass filter with the D70 and see IR fluorescence if it was happening?

Thanks for the optics info.

-D

Do you think I could get away with using an IR-pass filter with the D70 and see IR fluorescence if it was happening?

Only if you have recently developed Infrared vision.....

I've heard strange stories up this way about the side effects of living down there in the Pineys, so anything is possible.

j/k..... :lol:

If you are asking whether you can record IR with the D70 and an IR-Pass filter, the answer is yes - although the exposures might be long.

Ha!

Sigh, if only I could say those stories weren't true...

So this could be my set-up?

-D70 with El-nikkor

-IR-Pass filter ~830nm

-Baader U & UV cut filter

--Blak-Rays raging and darkness required if trying UV-induced Infrared Fluorescence

--some fluorescing targets

--iso long enough to bring noise to an unacceptable level

Is there such a thing as UV-induced UV Fluorescence?

Is there such a thing as Visible-induced IR fluorescence?

--darkness thus not required--could be in full sun?

-D

Hi Damon!

You can only detect IR induced by something else if your light source doesn't supply infrared.

My blackrays do so!

! da baffe

Oh it can induce it's own wavelength. Some lasers use that effect.

But in that case you will not be able to separate induced fl from pumping energy. Both have the same "colour" but the induced is always smaller in amount.

And if you separate them by the time delay between pumping energy in and monitoring the light coming out then it is phosphorescence per definition.

But this could make beautiful pictures too!

(I read that there is also a "spin criterion" to define fl but I read without understanding that)

Thanks for the info. I am beginning to understand that now.

Re:Blak-Rays--

Oh your right. At least for now though, it seemed I didn't need to worry about IR as my lens and camera/sensor are unmodified thus blocked the IR. (although Andrea is becoming skeptical so I better get a filter soon).

-D