UltravioletPhotography

Stacking Topics

colinbm

I had been using Helicon Focus for stacking, I have just tried Zerene Stacker & I like it a lot more.

Zerene Stacker has no or less ghosting :D

It is difficult to see the difference between Zerene Stacker, DMap & PMax ?

Col

Colin you might have a look into the books of Michael Erlwin "The Art of Focus Stacking" (two books)

He provides these as free pdf downlads on his website http://spiritgrooves.net

(you have to click "free e-books" on the left and then scroll down through alll his books to photography).

They offer an excellent introdution into focus stacking.

Werner

A Zerene note:

We can move this discussion into techniques but quickly--Lately, I have a found that this technique has worked best for me and utilizes all the power of the program:

1. Highlight stacked images and drop them in Zerene

2. Under stack--Click align and stack both both Pmax and Dmap

3. Drag threshold bar pretty far over when prompted

4. Under Edit--Click begin retouching

5. Click on Pmax which makes the left window now Pmax while Dmap in right

6. Start retouching Dmap using Pmax (use mouse wheel to enlarge retouching circle if needed)

7. Commit to retouching and either save combined image or just improved Dmap (which is what I have been doing--just click on Dmap and go to file--save output images.)

Caveat: I have only been using it for a short period of time so to each his own with their technique, but I like to share things that I have learned whether they work or fail. I have a coupe other strategies but am short on time right now but will pick this up later.

-D

Thanks Damon, for the tips

That is pretty much what I am picking up with Michael Erlewine's "The Art of Focus Stacking" (two books), too.

I have a lot to learn.

Col

enricosavazzi
Zerene Stacker is often discussed on photomacrography.net. The developer of Zerene Stacker is one of that site's administrators.
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know whether Zerene has had it built in yet (or if it is going to at some point) but one benefit of Helicon is Helicon Remote, which allows for automated stack-shooting if you have an auto-focus lens, or stackshot rail. I tend to use Helicon Remote for shooting with my 100mm lens, and then Zerene for the actual stacking.

My workflow tends to be to align and stack both dmap and pmax, save them, and do the rest of retouching in photoshop.