UltravioletPhotography

Vivitar 285HV for UVIVFL?

Damon

I have 3 Modified VivitarHv's http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/826-my-uv-kit-damon/

They have proven themselves to work when taking regular UV shots during the day with a Baader U on camera.

Can I use these to take UVIVFL-Ultraviolet Induced Visible Fluorescence or do they blast all manner of UV wavelengths?

If no good--can I put woods glass in front of them or is that somehow not a good/practical idea?

-D

Be careful with putting a filter in front of a flash - it may warp or crack.

I think using a 'slow' approach to fluorescence photography is better. You have much more control over the excitation frequencies nad can use your light source to 'paint' the subject.

Whether or not you use flash, sufficient darkness is required.

Thanks for the advice.

Now that I think about it some more, I will not know what exposure to use until I do some test shots. These flashes kind of like eating batteries too so this may not be practical to use for multiple 20 shot stacks.

This is all stemming from the fact that I wish to have more UV light. At 5X or similar, I cannot paint anything as the area is already small enough to be covered by the brightest pats of my Blak-Rays.

What about that Broncolor light you have? Would that be pretty intense still with a piece of woods glass in front of it? I know the woods glass I am using can take heat.

Do you think a magnifying lens would increase the intensity of the 365 nm light coming from the Blak-Ray? Like we did as kids with the sun and chased ants around with.

I suspect the glass in it will block it. I am going to try it.

-D

You can get a Wood's glass equivalent for the Broncolor studio flashes, but I decided against (after trying for a while). You have too little precise control of the light distribution with the UV attachment in place.

Such studio flashes are orders of magnitude more powerful than the flashes you use. Still, in order to bring the light where you wish, you need to use the various reflectors found for them. Putting all the light into a small circle may be possible with a long snoot, but you do get the heat with the intensity as well.