UltravioletPhotography

A way to scale images relatively to each other in photoshop?

cmoody

Just wondering if anyone knows of a tool in photoshop that would allow the user to resize multiple images so that they are to scale against each other?

Essentially I've been taking many many many photos of specimens which are different sizes. I'm using a fixed focal length lens so the camera has had to move back and forth a bit. There's a scale bar in each image however.

Is there something like the ruler tool, where I could drag a line say 3cm along the scale bar, and the image would expand or contract to a pre-set size. If I did this with each image if I were then to display them side by side, the specimens should be to scale?

I'm sure there are likely a few different ways to do this within photoshop, but I am also equally sure whichever way I come up with will be the least efficient and time consuming way!

A very simple procedure is making one image the "reference" and layer the other image on top of it, with a reduced opacity. Select all by A, then make it active by T, grab the handle of any corner by the mouse and drag while holding the key. Release the mouse when the two scale bars match in length. You can set the blending mode to 'Difference' to make it more obvious when the match is perfect. Save the adjusted layer as a new file.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing, it just seems that there should be a more automated way when there are things like using the ruler tool to automatically straighten an image...it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to have a similar tool for resizing!