UltravioletPhotography

UV used to attract bats

enricosavazzi

enricosavazzi

The article says the UV light is used to attract bats. The prey used in the experiment is apparently tethered, so there would be no point in using UV to attract insects.

Assuming that UV attracts insects, there is an evolutionary incentive for insectivorous bats to also be attracted to UV, since this increases their chance of finding prey. Therefore, I would not be surprised if UV also attracts bats.

Thanks Enrico

I have no problem with bats jambing another bats echolocation.

I know we get lovely photos in UV light, & I know that insects are attracted by UV light......

BUT I have trouble getting my head around where all this UV light comes from in nature, particularly at night, except from a human made source ?

I am sure that if an alien stuck up a UV lamp in the open at night, near a group of primordial humans, they would have been attracted to the UV lamp too, but that doesn't mean that primordial humans hunted by UV light at night ?

Cheers

Col

There are some microbats that feed using UV rather than echo-location. Of course they are nectar-feeding bats and flowers don't move about in the open very much. :unsure: http://www.mpg.de/481464/pressRelease20031010

Col, the aforesaid microbats are feeding at night in tropical rainforest. As we know, the percentage of UV in solar light increases at dusk and into the night. And galactic light also provides UV.

BTW, it may be that vampire bats are able to perceive (not "see") thermal IR.

the percentage of UV in solar light increases at dusk and into the night

I did not know this !! Interesting to learn about.

Yes, Andrea, that is why white-tailed deer, which are crepuscular feeders, have a highly-UV reflective white flag. These deer have no yellow pigments in the lens as humans do, so they are able to receive UV on their retinal rods and cones. The deer have also more rods than cones, for increased night sensitivity. The UV reflective tail allows the deer to follow one another as a herd when running from a predator even in the darkest of nights.