UltravioletPhotography

35MM F3.5 Preset Why ?

colinbm

It was discussed in an other topic, and the conclusion -in a nutshell- was, that the simpler design, the age (and with that the stone-age coatings) and lack of cemented elements are all together result in a better UV transmission.

Thanks for that summary 'Timber'......but the 'stone-age' reference is within my life-time :D

I'll just hope I can find a good one .............

Col

That should be entirely feasible. The Soligor 35 mm f/3.5 is a known candidate for UV and it is easily found on eBay etc. for quite modest asking prices [yet: when the rumours of it being a UV lens reach the sellers expect a steep price hike like we've seen with the Petri lenses]. The Soligor and its siblings come in M42, Exacta, and other mounts. If it is seen in T-mount, adapting it to say a Nikon is very easy. For the mirrorless aficionados adapters are plentiful and cheap to be had.
Haha sorry Colin :D What camera are you using? Because for MILC systems there might be a better option in form of Enlarger Lenses. I have a Soligor 35mm f3.5 Enlarger Lens and I find it way better than the camera lens. Even together with the focusing helicoid it still feels pancake-ish on my Nex-6. And UV transmission is roughtly the same, but I find it a bit more sharper lens.

Thanks Bjorn & Timber

Yes, M42 or T2 are both suitable for me, I have a Sigma SD15 dSLR, which the hot mirror is easily swappable in & out, at will.

Cheers

Col

Col, look in the Lens Sticky under the heading: 35mm f/3.5 Lenses for UV - not the only category

There you'll find a summary about 35/3.5 lenses and another link to Enrico's post (in another thread) summarizing the design of 35/3.5s versus other lenses.

I recently prowled Ebay and saw a bunch of 135/3.5 lenses available if you are looking for a longer lens.