UltravioletPhotography

Anyone tried Sigma EX DN 19mm f2.8 for UV?

Timber

I am just wondering if anyone tried this lens for UV performance. I have the 30mm and I got some good results with it (not as good as other accidental UV lenses, but still useable) but I would like to have a wider lens with AF for UV video works. I wonder if anyone tested this lens. I heard the Sony SEL 16 f2.8 is useable but all tests got the Sigma a way better performer in all other aspects (sharpness, distortion etc).
Alex I am looking for AF lens for video. Also I haven't found any wide angle (<20mm) which is known for good UV. On the UV Lens List 25mm is the widest for a cine lens (if I am reading it right), with an FFD shorter than the Sony E mount, so it's not good for me, so the widest is 28mm, the RMC Tokina, which I already have. But as I said I need a wider one. Also as I have the Sigma 30mm f2.8 from the same group (19, 30, 60) and I am quite happy with it's UV capabilities that's why I was thinking that the 19mm might have similar UV performance (obviously the performance of the 30mm is nowhere near any guarantee for the performance of the 19mm)...

If you need autofocus, than I can not help. Although, I though that precise geared manual focusing is preferred in video world, but I may be mistaken.

Lens lists sticky is very big but nowhere near exhaustive. There are a number of wide manual focus lenses that are suitable for UV-photography and which had been discussed here or at the NikonGear/Fotozones Invisible section. Search should bring up those threads back to life.

I personally am found of this little lens – Olympus G Zuiko AUTO W 20mm F3.5 for Olympus Pen-F/FT half frame cameras. Here are few examples:

http://www.ultraviol...st-storangsudd/

http://www.ultraviol...h-of-stockholm/

I have two of these lenses in fact.

4.0/18 Nikkor that Bjørn uses.

2.8/16 Sony E-mount I showed at NG and also discussed by Boon (if my memory serves me well, which is very doubtfull). Note that there is some color shift with front-mounted Baader U2.

4.5/21 Tamron Adapt-a-matic I showed at NG.

None of these lenses will reach 320nm, but they all show floral UV-signatures nicely.

The Nikkor 18/4 is quite nice for more artistic UV projects. As its UV response is a little subdued, you need a strong UV source to get the most out of it.

Here is a Tussilago shot using the 18 on a D40X. On this occasion I availed myself of a battery pack to power a Broncolor studio flash in order to give 'sparkle' to the flowers. I hesitate to do this on a regular basis though, as field weather and mud are not exactly the best environment in which to use such gear. I could probably gotten a long way towards the same with one or two of my SB-140 units, but with such a wide view, having more distance between the subject and the flash is highly recommended.

UVP_Tussilago_Nikkor18mmf4_I1104162164.jpg