UltravioletPhotography

UV Eyes

colinbm

A depiction of your eyes after a hang-over :D ?

On a more serious note, if you wear glasses, you have at least 1 stop UV-protection already. Not so much from the glass itself as from the multicoating.

That ad above, I am afraid, is over-generalized and spreads more fear-mongering than a balanced message (while focused solely on selling products and making $$$$$).

While it's certainly true that over-exposure to UV radiation can damage various tissues (including eye structures), it needs to be pointed out that our eyes (and skin) need at least some moderate exposure to full-spectrum sunlight on a regular basis, for optimal health.

And I am afraid that if one gets into the habit of wearing dark, UV-protective glasses throughout their entire life and constantly around the clock ... this can possibly cause some negative issues, too. For one thing, constant wearing of dark sunglasses can possibly weaken the eye's own natural resilience to UV radiation, hence making them even more sensitive to light.

There is also a lot of research which is suggesting that exposing light-sensitive cells in the eyes to moderate, cyclical levels of sunlight is also important in regulating wake / sleep cycles. This may become even more critical as we age, when an increasing percentage of people begin having problems with insomnia, for example.

So, while it's important that we protect our eyes from overexposure, our eyes do need moderate and cyclical exposure to natural light every day to help maintain health.

(Ex: I've met a few comical people, who wear dark, dark shades everywhere they go, every single time they step outside of the house. Heck, they even wear them indoors. This is probably not very good for the eyes, either :) ).

Look what happens when someone has been forced to remain in darkness for an extended period, and then finally exposed to sunlight. Their eyes hurt. That indicates that our eyes do need to be stimulated to maintain some of their own natural levels of protection.

In short, I dislike ads such as the one above. They paint an unbalanced message.

Oh, and welcome back, Col! Nice to see you here, again!

Thanks Iggy

I have been head down & bum up with a project.......now to try it out in UV..........

Col